Sunday 26 July 2009

Your bad grammar really annoys me

Well, here goes my first blog post.  I decided I needed to get a blog because I have too much to say to fit it all into 140-character snippets (those who use Twitter will know what I mean by this).

My rant today is about grammar.  As I have just updated my Facebook status to say, bad grammar really annoys me!  Do people really not know the difference between "were" and "we're" or between "your" and "you're"?  Are they ignorant, lazy or doing it on purpose just to annoy me?

The education system has a lot to answer for if young adults are leaving university (notice I put university, not college, school or nursery, so I'm giving you plenty of time here!) not knowing how to use an apostrophe or not realising that there is a difference in pronunciation and a big difference in meaning between "were" and "we're".  I admit that there are areas of word meaning that I am not fully up-to-speed on; one example I can think of is the difference between "round" and "around", another is "farther" and "further".  I hope that I haven't used any of these words erroneously and annoyed too many people because of this.

The other thing I said in my Facebook status is, "Don't just say it's only a quick message on Facebook - it doesn't matter."  It matters to me! And I'm sure it matters to others.

I hope that one day I will be able to go on Facebook without cringing at the appalling grammar and punctuation, that I will be able to enjoy the content without getting distracted by its poor presentation, that I will be able to breathe a sigh of relief that internet users know how to use their own language.

No comments:

Post a Comment